Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Tuesday in Memphis

We left Nashville today after a hearty breakfast of a peanut cereal bar and a lousy coffee  - no more waffles for me - I'm on a health kick!
A lovely blue sky so top down and on the freeway for a rather dull 200 mile drive to Memphis. Temperature is now 87 by mid day - a bit of a scorcher - we stop about half way in Jackson - famous for Casey Jones - he died rather heroically in 1900 saving the passengers when his train crashed into a stalled freight train.
An American hero immortalized in a folk song - there was the TV series made about him and shown on the BBC in the 60s -100 points if you can remember the actor who starred in it
We're staying here for 3 days so I will get busy tomorrow on the Elvis/ civil rights /soul music history of the place.
Grab ourselves a bowl of Gumbo and rice and fried green tomatoes - yummy. The gumbo is a speciality of the south of course - it's made from a base of celery, peppers and onions thrown in with chicken, sausage, crab, shrimp and alligator (allegedly) plus a bunch of spices to spark it up.

3 comments:

  1. Devastated to hear about Casey.. Childhood memories and all that. Ok I know it was 1900 but still...
    Gumbo looks real good. Good luck on the search for the Cheescake. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan Hale Jr? Where do I redeem my points? (Peter)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete - if you didn't google I'll give you the points for sure

    ReplyDelete